Assembly Speaker Robin Vos (R-Rochester) announced the creation of a Rural Schools Task Force, recommended by the 2013-15 state budget, on Friday.
The task force will be chaired by Representative Rob Swearingen (R-Rhinelander), and Representative Fred Clark (D-Baraboo) will serve as vice-chair.
Representative Swearingen announced that the first meeting will be held this month in Rhinelander, though he did not specify an exact date.
The Speaker has charged the task force with studying the following areas:
• Creating partnerships among school districts
• Exploring new avenues to share innovations, efficiencies and best-practices
• Addressing future transportation needs
• Mapping out strategies for long-term financial stability
• Developing tactics for handling declining enrollment
• Maximizing opportunities to incorporate advanced technology
As enacted by the 2013-15 state budget, the task force should submit a report on these topics to the Joint Legislative Council by April 1, 2014.
Speaker Vos: Announces Bipartisan Task Force on Rural Schools